Pages

Monday, June 13, 2011

Let's Get this over with, shall we?

No BIG surprise that it has been a couple months since my last post.  I had ideas for the "poultry slam" topic, I swear I did, but time got away from me again, as time always does.  I cannot say I had as many stories to offer as Episode 3 of this American Life but then again, how much can a person talk/write about poultry?  I like chicken, it tastes good.  Dark meat is my favorite.  That's all I've got.  Seriously though, my son and I did have a plan to enter the Peeps Diorama contest around Easter time.  Yes this is a real thing, see for yourself: http://twincities.upickem.net/engine/Welcome.aspx?contestid=27999.  It sounded like a fun project and would have transfered well to the poultry themed post (peeps=baby chicks).  BUT we could not agree on the theme for the diorama.  He wanted to do a scene from Thriller, I thought perhaps a scene from Harry Potter titled Harry Peeper would be more clever.  Eventually the deadline passed and we concluded that we should have created a scene from Buffy the Vampire Slayer and called it Puffy the Peep Slayer.  Instead my son wrote a story called Puffy the Peep Slayer in which the main character, Puffy, slays the evil Peeps with a toothpick.  The Peeps are evil because their sugar-coated outside is the source of tooth decay for children all over the world.  What is more evil than cavities?  We are currently looking for a publisher.

I was also going to mention the story my sister told me after she watched "Food Inc" for a health class in college.  She described a scene in which chickens were being killed and she swore you could hear them screaming "ow, ow, ow" repeatedly.  I remember thinking she was a freakin' nut job and wondering if she smoked a joint before viewing the documentary but then I watched it.  It's clear they are shrieking for obvious reasons but I know, as well as most people, that chickens can't speak so yeah, I'm pretty sure my sister was high...or her instructor was a hard core vegan who planted this thought in the minds of her impressionable class.  Although, after watching "Food Inc" I really didn't want to eat meat, of any kind, ever again.  I found I could not quit cold turkey (pun totally intended) and even though I still enjoy feasting on flesh, I feel guilty EVERY time I do now.
But seriously, folliers, this shit is messed up:

Last but not least, check out http://poultrykeeper.com/ and join other poultry enthusiasts, if that's what you're into.

Until next time, Folliers, may the fowl be with you....

No comments:

Post a Comment